Jerry West and the Burden of Being the Logo
Mr. Clutch was such a defining figure in NBA history that the league made him its symbol, but the Hall of Famer could never escape the pressure that came with being the standard for excellence By Howard Beck Jun 13, 2024, 8:38am EDT Share this story Share this on Facebook (opens in new window) Share this on Twitter (opens in new window) SHARE All sharing options Getty Images/Ringer illustration I first met Jerry West in the summer of 1997, as a young, sorta shy, possibly in-over-my-head rookie beat writer assigned to cover the Lakers for the L.A. Daily News . I knew his résumé, the championships won (and lost), the clutch shots he’d hit, the contenders he’d constructed. But I don’t think I really understood the man until three summers later. It was June 20, 2000, the morning after Kobe Bryant had leaped into Shaquille O’Neal’s arms, purple and gold confetti fluttering around them, in celebration of their first NBA championship. It had been 12 y...

Comments
Post a Comment